Finally, the weather has turned colder and for those of us with a fireplace, this means it’s time to start building those cozy fires and enjoy some snuggle time. However, if you haven’t so much as touched that wonderful fireplace since last winter, then you’ll need to clean and prepare it before you start using it again. Here are some things to know…
Fireplaces have to go through some cleaning services and maintenance in order to ensure your safety. Not only will cleaning it make your home look better, but it will also help the wood burn safely and properly. Fireplaces get a buildup of residue in the chimney that is flammable, so if it’s not cleaned out, that can pose a danger. It’s crucial that the chimney be kept clean. You can hire a chimneysweep to do it or you can do the job on your own.
Tips For Cleaning The Chimney Yourself
Cleaning services on the chimney should be done every year. Here are some tips to get you started if you choose to do this yourself.
- Vacuum the hearth often so that soot won’t build up. Never sweep or vacuum until any embers have been completely out for 12 hours or more.
- Inspect the inside of the chimney for soot getting built up, as well as the flue and firebox. It’s important not to let creosote buildup.
- Make sure you burn wood that’s very seasoned to prevent creosote.
- Never put a fire out with water, unless absolutely necessary. It makes the ashes become pasty and very hard to clean. You can use coffee grounds that are damp to sprinkle on ashes that have cooled. This will make the job of removal easier.
- Never use any kind of abrasive cleansers to clean the fireplace, as they are flammable.
If a wood-burning fireplace is not for you, then there are some nice alternatives. A gel fuel fireplace gives you the cozy warmth of the real thing but uses flame pourable gel rather than the traditional firewood. You can also get them as a portable unit so you can move it from room to room as you would like. This is certainly a more eco-friendly and green alternative to real fireplaces. These portable fireplaces also are great if you live in a small area like an apartment, or in an urban area.
If you need more ideas or need a reputable cleaning service to come clean and get the job done right, give us a call today!
Myrtle Beach, SC