If you are a homeowner, then you will no doubt have times when you need to call a handyman to come and help fix things around the house. This can become a hassle for many people, so we want to break down what you should expect when hiring a Myrtle Beach handyman.
Hiring a handyman should be just like hiring any other service. You should expect professionalism and excellence. This means he should be punctual and come when he says he will, answer your questions with patience and knowledge, and communicate with you by returning phone calls, etc. They should also be available to you after the job is completed.
It’s important here to establish what their services actually provide so that you don’t expect things from him that he isn’t skilled to do. For instance, if you have a full kitchen or bathroom renovation, then you should hire a licensed contractor, not a handyman. For the most part, a good Myrtle Beach handyman will be able to tackle any small or odd job around the house that involves minor repairs, maintenance, etc.
What To Expect When Hiring A Handyman
- The first thing you need to do before you ever make a call is to make a list of everything, big or small that you need to be done. Some services concentrate in specific areas, so you will want to find one who best suits your specific jobs.
- After you’ve made your honey-do list, it’s time to hire who you need. The best way to find people is through word of mouth, so ask your friends and neighbors who they’ve used and see if you can get some recommendations. When you do make the call, ask the handyman for references and be sure to follow up on them. This can save a lot of headaches! If there have been problems in his work previously, it will most likely come out through those references.
- The next step is for the person you hired to come to your home and look at the list you have for what needs to be done. He can then give you an estimate on cost. Remember, his services and quotes are based off what you show him ahead of time, so don’t add jobs to his plate once the quote has been made and he’s already working. By following this procedure, you will get what you pay for and he will be paid fairly.
You might also want to know a few other things, such as:
- Are they paid hourly or by the task?
- Are they licensed?
- Are they insured?
- Are there any negative customer reviews online?
Finding a good handyman is wonderful because you will most likely want to stick with him for years to come. He will get to know your house and what you need, which will make him an invaluable resource! So, do your homework, talk to friends, go online, and ask lots of questions before you hire someone.
Make your list and check it twice! If you live in the Myrtle Beach area, give us a call and let us get those odd jobs completed!
Gordy The Handyman
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577